Wednesday, July 27, 2016

My Recurring Nightmare by Daniel Wu

I slowly opened my eyes and stretched. Sluggishly, I sat up and blinked a couple of times. Suddenly, I jolted awake, remembering that today was the day that I was supposed to go to Boston for my sister’s wedding! The plan was supposed to leave at five a.m., but right now it must be around eight or nine. My first rational thought was that the plane got delayed a ton and my mom was just letting me sleep in.

I slowly took a shower, dressed and brushed my teeth, my usual morning routine, not thinking anything was out of the ordinary. As I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen for breakfast, I realized that the house was silent. There wasn’t classical music blasted all across the house. There wasn’t the smell of the amazing bacon that my mom fries every day. But, there was a certain smell. It was a sweet sickly smell, like a rose, but soaked in gasoline and bathed in skunk spray.

The smell got stronger as I got closer to the kitchen. As soon as I stepped into the kitchen, I almost died of shock.

There, laying on the kitchen counter, was a body, like one of the zombies on TV. At some point in time, it might have been a male, but there was no telling for sure.

Numb with shock, I fumbled with my cell phone, trying to call 911. Before my phone could even turn on, the body leaped for me, pulling me in with it’s one attached arm, trying in vain to replace it’s own missing body parts.

EDITED TO CONFORM TO CLASSROOM STANDARDS AND MAINTAIN A PG LEVEL.

No comments:

Post a Comment