Thursday, July 28, 2016

WHAT HAPPENS AFTER GRADUATION by Amrita Pal

CHAPTER 1

“I don’t think that I’ll ever forget what happened last night,” I stated in horror.

“What happened, Mia?” Connor asked.

“Well it’s kind of a long story.”

“Listening.”

“Well,” I began, “my friend Anna (dirty blonde with freckles) and I were were driving to our all-night graduation party at school. I probably should have driven, but I forgot that she always forgets to fill up the gas. She stopped in the middle of the road and asked someone dressed as a police officer to give them a lift. His name was David, although he probably was lying. I think that going with him and telling him our names were the worst two mistakes I ever made. To make us feel like we were safe, he took us to the grad party. After about an hour, he was like, ‘guys, look over here’. Anna wasn’t there at the moment, but I came over when-”

“HEY!” someone yelled. Once we made eye contact, I knew exactly who it was.

“YOU! How did you get in here? What - you torture me last night and you want to torture me again? What is up with you?”

“What? You think I won’t track you after you run away? How dumb do you think I am?” the so-called David spoke angrily.

“Hold the phone,” Connor jumped in, “What happened?”

“None of your business. And Mia, you’re coming with me.”

“Don’t even try it,” Connor stepped in the way.

“What do you have to do with this?”

“Ummmm… I’m uh… her… friend? Wait, that’s true. Why am I saying it as a question? Ha,” Connor can’t even tell a decent lie. I rolled my eyes. At least try to sound smooth with the truth. If this is what I’m working with to get me out, I’m dead.

“Yup. He is going to hurt you so bad,” Hurt you so bad? What kind of sucky comeback is that? And I was criticizing Connor.

“Cut the chit-chat Mia. Let’s go.” He grabbed me and punched Connor in the face. He got knocked out cold.

“Oh come on, Connor. Wake up. Wake-”

2 HOURS LATER

“Hello? Hellooooo? It’s Connor. Mia? Where are you? Ugh. The last thing I remember is getting knocked out by David… Mia! Oh no. Wait. Where am I?” Wherever I am, I clearly did not get the best deal. There is a rusty brown wooden table with most of the wood chipped off. My bed is a cot with patches and two broken legs. And is that a rat? Nope, a family of rats. Blech. I have to get out here and find Mia. Okay. So what do we have so far?

After thinking through everything that just happened, I have come to a conclusion that Mia gave me no useful information, except for the fact that his name was David. But there’s got to be millions of Davids in Tennessee, if I’m still in Tennessee. Did he take my phone? No. I’ll just call Mia… who probably got her phone taken away. I’ll do it anyways. What’s the worst that could happen?


1 HOUR LATER

“Oh hello? Mia? You finally answered! I’ve been calling you for the past hour or so. Are you okay? Where are you? Hello? Hello? Hellooooooo?” Why isn’t she answering? Is she okay? Is she not speaking because I wasn’t able to stop David from getting her?

“This is David. Mia will no longer need to be of your concern. You are free to leave if you swear to never let out even a whisper of what happened. If you do, we will know.”

“What did you do with Mia? Where are you keeping her? How will you know if I talk?” I rapidly fired the questions.

“Once again, nothing is of your concern. Remember, never speak of- ‘HELP! HELP PLEASE! CONNOR, IT’S ME,-’ Quiet!”

“Who was that? Who are you hiding? Was that Mia? Why shouldn’t I speak of what you’re doing? It is obviously something. Why are you being so secretive? What are you… and he hung up.” I set my phone on the table. Just breathe. He hung up, so clearly he was worried about me finding out what he did. Maybe the person screaming was Mia! That means that she’s probably with David, so I could save her and turn David in, “So how can… oh of course! I can just track her phone using the missing iPhone app. Let me just get my - hey! Where’s my phone? I just left it on the table. Where did it - oh… they heard my plan and stole it while I was saying it out loud. Stupid!” Why do I have to be so dumb?

“You will never be allowed to leave! If you had just let the matter go, you could have been free. I hope you didn’t have any plans because you are never getting out!” Who just yelled that? What the - hey. There’s a hole in the corner. They must have left it open while they were stealing my phone! That means that they aren’t far off! I could catch up to them. Okay Connor, Less thinking, more moving!



CHAPTER 2

“Stop struggling, Mia. You’ll only make it worse,” David commanded.

“Yes. Because nothing’s worse than getting kidnapped by a madman that ruined your graduation night and seeing your friend get knocked out. I mean, it’s just your regular Friday, right?! This probably happened to you- oo”

“Don’t bother talking while being gagged. I’ll bring food for you later. I mean… we wouldn't want our bait to starve, right?!”

“Wha oo ou mea by bay?”

“Huh?” David took out the gag.

“What do you mean by bait? What are you planning?”

“Bye.”

“No, answer me! Harumph harumph harumph,” He just had to gag me again. It tastes terrible! Blech. What are these made out of… sweaty socks? Wait - I think these are sweaty - EWW!!! I have to get out of here and tell somebody. I hope Connor’s okay. I heard him on the phone when he called me and I tried to answer, but dumb David took it before I could say anything. How will Connor know where I am to save me when I don’t even know where I am? I mean, what dump did they throw me into? Gross. How do I escape? It’s not like I can count on Connor. I mean, he couldn’t even tell a decent lie. Wait. My hands are slipping out of the ropes! They’re free!!! Finally! I can spit out this sweaty, disgusting piece of rag from my mouth. “YESSSSSSS!!! I’m finally free from those ropes and that DISGUSTING gag! There’s gotta be somewhere I can get out from, like a tunnel or something!”

“Next time you want to escape, don’t yell your plan out loud. That’s exactly what your friend said. What a dummy. Ha!”

“Who… Connor? Where are you keeping him and who the heck is talking?”

“Will I ever meet anyone who actually has a brain?! It’s me… David. What did you think, Lady Gaga was just droppin’ by and decided to speak to you? Ha!”

“Well you could be a little nicer,” I defeatedly muttered. This is terrible. Okay… just think! Maybe this place has some tunnel to go through. I’ll look around. Man, this place is so dirty and grimy. An actual dumpster would be better than this. This is by far the grossest thing I’ve seen and touched in my entire - SQUISHHHHH!!! EWWWW… what did I step in? You know what? I’m not even going to look down. Once this dumb David mess is fixed, I’m going to the shoe store and burning this one.

10 MINUTES LATER

Hey… what’s that? It looks like a… TUNNEL!!! Finally! Wow, this tunnel is huge; how did I not see it before? Eh. I’m going in. I really hope Connor’s in there; I really need his help.

Blech… this place is disgusting. There are cobwebs everywhere. There’s at least a million bones down here. It smells garbage mixed with raw fish. GROSS!!! At least I’m finally free from, “AHHHHHHH! Who the heck is dragging me? Where am I going?”

“Shhh. It’s me, Connor. Stop talking or we’ll get caught! Finally… we’re here.” Connor whispered. His voice sounds a little different though. Who cares? I finally found the person that won’t kidnap and tie me up. It feels nice to finally have my hands-

“Hey Connor. Owwwww! What are you doing? Why are you tying me up? And where are we?”

“Aren’t you smart enough to at least turn around and see your ‘best friend’? Wow. A graduate can’t even think to turn around.”

“Wait a second,” I turned around and saw, “Who are you? Do you work for David?”

“Nooo. I work against David. I can’t believe it took you this long to escape. I mean, I have been hiding in that tunnel for the past three weeks waiting to see who he picks up to use as bait. Anyways, do you not remember me? It’s Ross, your uncle.”

“Ohhhhhhh. So, you’re Ross… my uncle? I don’t think that we’ve ever met before,” even though I don’t remember him, he was probably there when I was born or something. Besides, anybody would be better than dumb David, “So, why am I being used as bait and what is it for? Also, for the millionth time, WHERE ARE WE??????”

“Relax. Look. All you need to know is that we are in one of the mini caves in the tunnels. Once David realizes that you escaped, the alarm should go off and-”

“HEY!” David… DAVID… was standing in the opening of the cave. How did he find us?

“Mia… I gotta hand it to you. I didn’t think you’d be smart enough to find the tunnel. But I do owe you a thank you for leading me to him.”

“WHAT?” Uncle Ross and I exclaimed in unison.

“Well. How else did you expect me to find you both together? I mean, this is the jackpot! I found my enemy and the captive that knows too much,” David started to creepily grin. Is it just me, or did the cave just get a sharp chill?

“How do I know too much?! You wouldn’t tell me anything. The only two things that I actually know about is that I’m a captive for something and that Uncle Ross is your enemy. Besides, what did he do to make you use me as bait to get him to come? This is so confusing.”

“BE QUIET!” yelled both Uncle Ross and David.

“You both are coming with me,” David said.

“Where?” I asked.

“You’ll see. On second thought, I won’t lie. You won’t,” David put on a mask and then some green gas started coming out of nowhere. The last thing that I remember is Uncle Ross escaping because, for some reason, he had a gas mask. I started to get really dizzy. Then… the lights went out.




CHAPTER 3

“How many spiderwebs can be in one tunnel?” No one can be more frustrated than I am. Out of all people to go to the graduation party with, Mia chose Anna, the one who just had to always forget to fill up the gas and just had to go ask David for help. Why couldn’t David have aimed for kidnapping Anna instead? If she had been the kidnappee, then, since I barely know her, she wouldn’t expect me to save her and I wouldn’t be in this stupid mess. Just breathe. Calm down, Connor. Don’t overreact and sound crazy. Just relax and focus on the main goal at hand: saving Mia.

Wait. I hear something. It looks like… David. I think he’s carrying Mia! I’ll follow him. So this is where he’s been hiding her. Man, and I thought my holding cell was bad. This tunnel is getting so narrow. I’m literally walking sideways. Good thing it got taller. This is disgustingly dingy. The mini cobwebs and the dirt that’s on the walls is getting rubbed onto my shirt since I’m sort of sliding on the wall.

“Woah. Oh we’re stopping? That means we're at Mia’s holding cell. He must be bringing her - OW!” David just punched me and dropped Mia. How hard can a guy’s fist be? Jeez! Why do I always have to say things out loud?

“How did you get here?” David practically screamed.

“That’s none of your concern. Annoying, isn’t it,” I finally feel smug with this guy. Feels good. Oh wait… I have to pick up Mia, “C’mon Mia. Wake up. Wake up. Ok… I am really sorry to do this,” Is it bad that I just slapped her? I didn’t have a choice.

“OWWWWWWW!!! What the heck? Why did you slap - Connor! Finally! Where were you? Are you okay? Why did it take so long? Where’s Uncle Ross?” Mia questioned.

“Who’s Uncle Ross?” David and Conner inquired.

“You know who he is David. He’s your enemy.”

“No. Your uncle was killed by my enemy. That was Jonas Fisher. He is the most-wanted criminal on the FBI’s list. I’m a police officer. Officer Steve Dooley reporting for duty.”

“Okay back up. I get that your name isn’t David and you’re a police officer. Wait… then why did you kidnap me?”

“Well, Fisher had left something that lead us to believe that you were his niece and he cared about you very much. We (the FBI) weren’t totally sold, but we didn’t want to take a chance and miss this opportunity to turn him in. After you had snuck out to escape, we found out that your uncle had passed due to Fisher. We have cameras in the tunnels and we saw that you had an encounter with him while escaping. That’s when I had decided to take both of you in and then, after Jonas Fisher was with the full security, let you go back to your normal life. I’m truly sorry for all the trouble that we’ve caused both you and Connor. I really hope you can forgive me.”

“Ohhh. So that’s why you tried to kidnap me and why you tied me up on the night of my grad-party. Well, at least now I know the truth. But the only thing I don’t understand is why you were trying to come off as a criminal.”

“Well, if you had known the truth, you wouldn’t have tried to escape and you wouldn’t have found Fisher.”

“Okay, fair enough. Now, let’s go catch that dummy.”

“Yeah!” Is it bad that I sort of forgot that Connor was there? He really should talk more.

“I think you forgot that you actually have to get me before I get you. The only problem is… I think it’s too late,” Jonas Fisher came out of nowhere.

“You’re not getting away this time,” David and Fisher locked eyes, and then the fight became a blur of foots, fists, pebbles, and cobwebs. They both must have been trained for fighting one-on-one because the only time that Connor and I got in the fight was when Jonas Fisher tried to take us in to use us as bait to escape. It didn’t work because I sort of elbowed him in the stomach and then stepped on his foot. I wouldn’t call it being violent, but using self-defense. Connor just ran away to the corner. After using “self-defense”, Connor and I sort of just watched the show. They were fighting like street dogs over a garbage can (no offense to the dogs).

10 MINUTES LATER

“JUST STOP THE DUMB FIGHT! It’s been, like 20 minutes. Just call it a draw. I know because you’re ‘men’ and ‘sworn enemies’ and all that mumbo jumbo, you won’t accept defeat but come on! I mean, can’t you just let go of your ego for at least a little bit? Or at least let me and Connor go? Jonas, I only have one thing to say, You are a big dummy and-”

“OKAY! If I let him take me to jail, would you please stop your stupid lecture? I think a life in jail would be better than this,” Jonas Fisher was practically begging me.

“Ouch. Well that didn’t hurt at all,” Actually to be honest, I didn’t really care; I shouldn’t have used sarcasm.

“Okay, take me in officer.”

“And you should know that I could have got you out of prison in a few years, but you said that life-in-jail would be better. So, next time I’d choose your complaining words carefully,” David explained. Not gonna lie, I didn’t think it would end like this. Although I do like this ending way better.

“Darn it! UGH!” Jonas is freaking out. It’s kind of funny.

“Finally. This is OVER! Can we leave now?” All I want them to do is say yes. Please!

“Yes, you can go. Just don’t tell anybody about this. ” David replied.

“Fine,” both of us would have started asking some follow-up questions, but we were too excited to leave. I don’t think Connor and I could have ran out any faster. I can’t wait to go back to my normal life. So, this is what happens after graduation. Now, I can focus on the most important thing, which is GETTING NEW SHOES!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment