Thursday, July 28, 2016

The Drop by Nathan Wu

Where I lived there has always been a jump at the hill. It was gigantic drop. Except we called it the jump. No one knew what was behind it. Because we were all kids. In fact, the whole neighborhood was kids. You see we live on a planet called Roko Republica. It’s all kids. No adults. If you’re asking if we die. We don’t ever die. In fact, we’re all immortal. However, none of us would ever go on the jump. In fact there was just darkness below. Nothing else. Nobody had ever went near it. Until one day…

 Me and Johnny had always been friends. In fact, we had been friends forever. We seemed to like the same things. Pizza, ice cream, pranks, video games. Still we had never dared to go near the jump. There was nothing below the jump… well except darkness that made your blood freeze. I hated the feeling when you got close to the jump. In fact, we had never even spoken too much of it. Only one person had ever jumped off the jump. His name was Neal Phileas. He had always been a daredevil and troublemaker. So no one was surprised when he jumped. Of course, he was never seen again. In fact we never even heard the thud when he landed at the bottom.

It seemed that no one would jump of the hill until one day when me and Johnny were fishing. We had always loved fishing. It seemed natural to us. We were boys of course, fishing was part of our lives. In particular however the day seemed odd. First, we spotted a black cat. Which was bad luck already. Then our rods got tangled in the weeds and we had to cut our walleye line. Then I tripped and fell into the lake. All of this seemed bad. But what’s real bad is happening next. 

Sylvia runs into me . She starts to scream. I ask what’s happening. Then she screams “ he stole my toy.” Then comes along Mitchell Hugh. Mitchell Hugh is one of those boys that even the toughest of the kids find scary. He had biceps as big as my whole body. I punched him and gave Sylvia’s toy back to her. Then she ran. 

Then me and Johnny both tackled him. He easily pushed us off of him. In fact, he seemed amused that we tackled him. Then he tackled Johnny into the dock. I was surprise the dock didn’t break. Finally after he was done punching Johnny he whispered to us “If you don’t want to more trouble, jump off the jump”.

I groaned with Johnny in unison. We both knew this was coming. I figured we were dead either way so I just said “yes.” That was a mistake I would regret.

He pushed us to the Jump then he said “Don't tell anyone.”

Me and Johnny held hands and jumped. My ears popped and I screamed. We were falling at possibly thousand feet per second.

Then we hit the ground. I saw the scene and said “Oh no.” 

Johnny nodded in unison.

1 comment: