Wednesday, July 27, 2016

The Fatal Mistake by Brittany Wang

“Go, go, go! Kick faster! ” shouted Coach Jones. We were practicing swimming in the ocean. I swam a bit faster. Then all of a sudden, I saw the reflection of a shark fin beside me. I ignored it, as my friends played pranks on me often. But when I felt searing pain on my ankle, I
knew this wasn’t a prank. This was a real shark.
I woke up in the hospital. The nurse told me that I was lucky that my foot hadn’t bitten off by the shark. I thought I was unlucky that I hadn’t fell for the “prank”, and that my friends tricked with that prank soo much, that if it were real, I wouldn’t fall for it. What has my life come down to?
When I went home, my mother scolded me for not swimming away from the shark. When I told her that I thought it was a prank my friends had played on me. She got angry me for making up an “excuse”. You know, I feel like I want to kill my friends. 1. For playing pranks on me, and 2. For not coming over to see if I was okay. There’s the doorbell. And it’s my friends? Scratch #2. And their apologizing for playing so many pranks on me and putting me in danger? And promising not to play anymore except on April Fool’s Day? Are they reading my mind here?! But strange enough, I feel all my anger trickle away like water down a drain. And I forgive them.

But little did I know that this was the mistake that would cost me my life.

1 comment: