Thursday, July 28, 2016

The Lonely King II by Ruhi Datye

 I felt myself tremble as my body shook with sobs. I made my way down to the cellar. I cried in the darkness. I’d completely forgotten about the mean boy.
 I pressed myself against the bars and heard movement. I looked up for a second. There was that same boy. I got up to leave, but the cellar door had shut behind me. I couldn’t get out. I started to panic. My lip trembled and I sniveled trying hard to hold back tears
 I couldn’t help it and all the unspilled tears came bubbling to surface. The boy didn’t say anything. He just sat there leaning silently close to the bars. I calmed down a bit and wiped my eyes.
 “Do you have claustrophobia?”the boy asked me.
 “What klaw-dee-tobia?”I asked the boy .
 “Claustrophobia,”he said. “You would think a king like him would know, what with the private tutors and all.”he muttered.
 “Well, I don’t,”I said.
 “It means a fear of cramped spaces,”he said.
 “Oh,”I said.
 “So do you have it,”he asked.
 “What. Oh, no,”I said.
 “Why’d you cry then?”he asked.
 “I was missing my mom and I was missing not being pushed around. Also I was scared of you,”I said truthfully. I hung my head at the last statement.
 “I lost my mom when I was little,”the boy said.
 “I lost mine a year ago,”I said.
 “What was your mom like?” the boy asked.
 So I told him every last detail about her. How much she meant to me, everything. I was happy to have him. He just sat there listening and he’d ask an occasional question or two.
 When I was done I looked at him expectantly and asked,“What about your mom?” I asked.
 It’s none of your business,”he said and turned away.

 I curled up on the cold ground and slept. The steward would come down here and find me eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment