Wednesday, July 27, 2016

The Adventures Of Din: The Lost City Of Lang by Madeline Evenson

P. S. _____ means that I haven't figured out what the kingdom will be called

Prologue

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, there was a kingdom. This kingdom was called _______. ______ was a grand city. From the moment you walk through the front gates to the moment you leave you are in awe. Every building in _______ was different. One was conical with a dome shaped roof. One was rectangular and full of edges and corners. One was shaped like four pillars with a pyramid on top!
The ruler of  _______ was called Richard, but everybody called him Rich; not because of his money, but because his was full (or one might say rich) of kindness and joy.
One day a child was born. He had hair the color of the night sky and eyes the color of the sea after a storm. His skin was light brown. His name, was Din.
***
5 years later
“And when I turned around the bend a tabby was staring at me!” Grandpa burst into laughter.
“What happened next?” Din asked him eagerly.
“Well Din, that was the end of that story,” Grandpa said.
“Can you tell me a different story?” Din said.
He and Grandpa were sitting around the fireplace, hiding from the blizzard that was raging outside. Grandpa was sitting in a black chair and Din was sitting in front of him, hoping to hear another of his grandpa’s tales.
“All right. I will tell you the tale of the lost city of Lang. When I was little all I ever heard about was the legend of the lost city of Lang,” Grandpa began. “All I ever wanted to do as a child was become an adventurer so I could see if Lang really existed. So when I was old enough, I left my home and started to pursue my dream. I searched high low but I could not find a clue to where Lang was. But then, I stumbled upon something that I know was supposed to be left secret. As I was walking home from a day that was like all other days I heard something. It sounded like a voice speaking in a hushed tone. I knew I shouldn’t eavesdrop but I couldn’t help myself. I listened to the voice and walked over to where I thought that it was coming from. I was in the middle of an alley between a bookstore and a music store. In the alley there was a few tin trash buckets, a dumpster, a few empty crates, and two people. One was a woman and one was a man. I couldn’t make out many of the details of what they looked like but I knew that the woman had long, dirty blonde hair and the man had shoulder length dark brown hair pulled into a low ponytail.
‘Did you get it?’ the woman asked the man.
‘Yes, but it was no easy task. I had to go through 3-’
‘I don’t care how you got it! Just show it to me!” The woman snapped.
The man grabbed 3 of the crates and stacked them upside-down so it would be a makeshift table. He rummaged around in his jacket and pulled out a piece of parchment. He set it down on the table and smoothed it out. They looked at the paper like it was the holy grail.
‘Finally! Now I have the power to find Lang!’ The woman said happily.
Well, this certainly caught my attention. Somebody else was trying to find the lost city of Lang?
The woman started to grab the paper but the man slammed his hand down onto the paper before the woman could pull it away.
‘Are you forgetting something?’ The man asked.
‘Hmmmm?’ The woman replied.
‘Pay up,’ The man said.
‘Oh, right, yes.’
The woman pulled out some coins and handed them to the man.
‘There. That is what the map is worth and more,’ The woman said.
The map? That word caught my attention. There was a map to Lang? I had to see this. So, I ran up to the man, snatched the paper out of his hand, and ran back down the alleyway before you could say papyrus.”
“Wait a second. You stole something?” Din asked Grandpa.
“Well… Yes, in a manner of speaking,” Grandpa replied.
“But since you stole from the bad guys, it makes it ok?”
“Right. Well, after I took the paper I ran for my life because I was sure that someone would chase after me. But, no one came. By the time I got home I had seen no one in my path. Once I got inside I immediately studied the paper. I looked over every inch of it but I saw nothing. That paper was completely blank. Why would the woman pay for a blank sheet of paper? I have wondered that ever since that day. A while after that day I stopped adventuring. I could not find any more leads to the lost city of Lang. So, I assumed that the lost city of Lang really was lost. I never found the lost city of Lang but I bet that someday, someone will,” Grandpa finished.
“That was an awesome story Grandpa!” Din said. “I want to be an adventurer just like you!”

No comments:

Post a Comment