Thursday, July 28, 2016

The Hike by Adah Letendre

In the summer of 2015, I went on my very first hike with my cousins and my Grandpa. My parents and my sister decided to go to a cave but I chose to hike. We knew prior to getting there that the hike would be approximately four hours in ninety degree weather, so we came prepared. We packed two backpacks full of water bottles, and another full of snacks.


This hiking trail leads to the top of a mountain and it isn’t a road well traveled. We passed quite a few people, but the trail was anything but worn down. On our way up, a gopher popped up from behind a rock and sat there while we took pictures of it. It was super cute! We passed many streams that came straight from the mountains. It was for eyes only though. Possible dangerous chemicals were in the water so if you drank it, you could become sick. We continued our way up until we passed a clearing of trees. Ahead of us was a rock pathway. We walked onto it and the view was stunning! You could see for miles on either side! I never wanted to leave as I am one for nature, but then there was the biggest chipmunk I had ever seen! I took a picture of it. It’s the size of a squirrel!


We continued along the rock pathway and we reached the gravel pathway once again. Then there was a sign that pointed in two directions. The path split into two. If you went right, you ended up at a trout pond with a small waterfall at the back. We went there first. The frogs were incredibly loud! Then we turned around and went the other way on the opposite pathway. All the sign said was “waterfall”. The waterfall was huge! You could go underneath it and behind it. I stood in front of it, and my grandpa stood behind it with his arms up. I snapped a picture. I show it to all my friends because I really like it.

Then we turned around and headed back down the trail. Of course, we don’t have mountains here in Minnesota, but we were in Colorado on our way to a dude ranch. My first hike was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment