Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Rosette by Arushi Devgun

“Ready to depart, madam?” The pilot said to me. 

“Yes.” I replied. Right now I was on a mission to retrieve a priceless artifact from the enemy kingdom, The Rosette. The Rosette is a stone which protected our kingdom from monsters, plague, and all that other bad stuff. I looked out the window, trying to forget that the kingdom’s safety all depended on me.

Minutes later, I grabbed my purse, thanked the pilot, and headed to Nifty Grits, a shop that was for agents but posed as a restaurant. I swung open the door. The clerk was eagerly waiting for me.

“And you are… Ruby Rosette Castille?” The clerk narrowed her eyes.

“Yes.” I replied cautiously.

“Perfect.” She handed me a fake ID. “You will pose as Astrid Michel, a journalist visiting from the kingdom of Pinedge.” The clerk led me to the disguise room. I put on a blonde wig, blue eyed contact lenses, a trench coat, and high-heeled boots. 

“Smile for the camera.” The clerk said. She uploaded my fake picture to the ID. “All right, you are all set to go.” She handed me a business card. “Whenever you are in need, call zis number.”

“Bye!” I yelled. I stepped out of the shop. Now I need to hail a taxi. I thought. “TAXI TAXI!” I shouted. There were lots of taxis on the road, but none of them stopped for me. After waiting for a long time, one finally pulled up. The driver opened the door.

“Take a seat.” He commanded. “Where to?”

“The castle.” I said.

“That will be 30 richa.” He extended his hand, waiting for the money. I handed him the bills. With a screech! We took off.


5 minutes later, I found myself in front of a castle with multiple windows and a clean cut lawn with fountains spewing water overhead. “Thanks for the ride.” I thanked the driver.

“You’re welcome.” He answered. Tightly clutching my purse, I walked towards the door, rehearsing what I would say to the butler.

Hi, my name is Astrid Michel, and I am a journalist visiting from Pinedge. May I see the gem room?

I looked up at the door and pressed the doorbell. “Who is zit?” The butler answered.

“My name iz Astrid Michel, and I zam a zournalist viziting from Pinedge. May I zee ze gem room?” I answered in a fake accent.

“Sure.” The butler replied. “Let me get ze door.” He opened the door for me. I stepped inside. “ Usually, I zequire people to make appointments with coming in to ze castle. But over ze last few days, nobody iz coming to vizit.” He led me up to the gem room and then unlocked the door. “Remember, if you need me, zust yell.” The butler reminded me.

“Okay.” I said with a cheery smile. What a waste of 5 minutes! I thought to myself. I scanned the room for the Rosette. “A ha!” I yelled quietly. I pulled a hammer and a laser cutter from my purse. I tapped the substance protecting the Rosette. Strong. But not weak enough for a hammer. I’ll just use the laser cutter.

I cut through the glass like a knife through butter. “Ouch!” I winced in pain. I forgot that when someone laser cuts something and then touches it, the object is really hot. I wrapped my pointer finger and thumb in a bandage. I took out the Rosette. It was smooth and preserved very nicely. I replaced the stone with a fake one and replaced the hole with transparent glue. “This was really easy.” I muttered. I found my way down into the main area of the castle. “Thank you for letting me visit.” I said sweetly to the butler.

“You’re welcome.” He replied. Just then when I thought nothing could get better than this, I tripped over a lump in the velvet carpet and the Rosette tumbled out of my purse. The butler raised an eyebrow. I smiled sheepishly at him. “Guards!” He yelled, the butler’s face as purple as a juicy plum. “Get her!” In a split second, guards in full armor appeared. Their eyes locked on me.

I snatched up the Rosette and busted through the door as I ran for my life. My blond wig fell off, revealing luscious auburn hair. Great. Just great. I thought. I spotted a hiding spot while angry guards chased after me. I escaped the castle premises, turned a corner, and turned a corner again. The infuriated guards ran right past me. “Whew.” I sighed with exasperation. But what I didn’t notice is that one of the guards lagged behind.

He looked at me and yelled, “HEY GUYS, I FOUND HER!! His guards friends showed up. They raised spears and backed me up into the wall. “Shoot.” I whispered. When I thought I was going to die, I had a bright idea. I fished through my purse and took out the business card the clerk had given me. “Guys, I need to take a call.” I said to the guards. They stepped back. Ha! These guards have no common sense whatsoever. I laughed quietly. I dialed the number. The line picked up immediately.

“Hello?” The clerk answered.

“Can you pick me up? I’m kind of in a situation here.” I said, motioning to the guards. “I’m two streets away from the castle.”

“Sure.”

The line beeped.

“Trying to plan your getaway, are ya?” The guards said with hostility. Ignoring their hostility, a car pulled up. I stabbed the guard standing closest to me with their own spear in the hand. “Owwwwww!” He whined. I ran towards the car. “Took ya long enough.” The clerk said with disdain.

“Before you drop me off to my helicopter, what’s your name?” I asked the clerk, who is now my friend.

“Parisa.”

To be continued…..

1 comment:

  1. It's good, I like the currency and Names. It has a good plot. I WANT PART 2!!

    ReplyDelete