Thursday, July 28, 2016

The Cookies by Siona Kaura

Chapter 1
It all started when I was walking my dog on a chilly winter day.
     I was taking my dog, Dasher, on a walk. It was a normal day, with tons of people flooding in and out of shops; the usual Christmas shopping. Walks usually went normally, with Dasher occasionally stopping now and then to sniff something.
     He was usually obedient, but not today.
     We were passing by the candy shop when he saw a squirrel. He sped away and I had had to sprint to keep up. Who knew Dasher was so fast?
     Thankfully, the squirrel scurried up a nearby tree, causing Dasher to stop running and start barking. I immediately scooped the tiny dog up. “No more running, Dasher.” I said.
      He barked and licked my face, giving the squirrel a chance to run away to, I don’t know, the other side of the world?
      Me and Dasher continued our walk silently. Finally, we reached home, and my little sister Sarah came running up to us. “Siena, you forgot to make your Christmas wish list!” she exclaimed. “Don’t worry, Sarah,” I said. “We still have a few days!” Sarah smiled. “Good, because I forgot too.” she giggled.
     When me, Dasher and Sarah entered our warm house, a sweet scent drifted into my nose. Me and Sarah looked at each other, thinking the same thing. “Cookies!” we exclaimed.
     My mom smiled at us as we entered the kitchen. “Yes, I made you gingerbread cookies,” she grinned. This was really unusual. Mom doesn’t make cookies! But she just had a normal expression on her face as my little sister started to take cookies from the plate.
     I grabbed a cookie and sat down at the table with Sarah. I got some paper and crayons and set them down.
      “So, what do you want for Christmas?” I asked as my little sister grabbed some paper. ‘Well, I want this, and I want this, and this… “ I sighed as she droned on and on about what she wanted.
       I looked down at my empty sheet. What did want for Christmas? Maybe a new laptop, some headphones, and that new book…  I grabbed a crayon and got to work.
       After I finished the first two on my list, I noticed Sarah standing behind me. “Are you gonna eat that?” she asks, pointing to my cookie. “Mom has some extras.” I said, waving her off.
      I looked at my uneaten cookie, mouth watering. Suddenly, I heard whining. Dasher looked up at me, as if asking me for something.Can I have that cookie? his eyes seemed to ask. I rolled my eyes. “Sorry, buddy.”
      I decided to eat my cookie before anyone else asked for it. As it entered my mouth, my eyes widened. It was so good! The warm fresh baked feel, that sweet taste...
     Just then, Mom stopped by. “Do you like it?” she asked. I nodded vigorously. “It’s amazing!” She passed me a few others, which I quickly finished. But something wasn’t right.
     Mom was not the type of person who baked cookies, and it makes no sense why she all

of a sudden started to do it …

1 comment: