Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Simple Things by Ruhi Datye

I sat on the swing for the first time in ages. I pumped my legs and rose high into the sky. The wind whistle past my ear. I felt laughter bubbling up. I was high up and I want to jump. I wanted to run and run and run. It was almost an uncontrollable urge. I felt happiness in its purest form. I smiled at everything seeing from a four year old’s point of view. The swing bump and I started to feel dizzy as a bright recollection appeared in my mind's eye.

  I had jumped off my swing. The air had been knocked out of me and I couldn’t breathe. My parents took a look at my back and said I would be fine it was just a few scratches. I didn’t believe them. It hurt too much. Two hours later, the back of my shirt was spotted in blood.

  I gripped the swing I wanted to get off, but I didn’t want to jump. Not until I touched the ground. The fear passed as soon as it came and I wanted to go higher, but the dizziness remained. Reluctantly I walked off the swing.

  It’s funny how much you can feel doing simple things.

No comments:

Post a Comment